April Bui Acupuncture
Memorial / Spring Branch
Chinese Medicine Terminology
Below are brief explanations of some common terms and concepts in Chinese medicine diagnosis that you would come across in a reading. Although Chinese medicine concept can be abstract, this helps you to understand better the discussion on this page.
Chinese Medicine Diagnosis:
Based on our clinical experience, most menstrual disorders are commonly caused by deficiencies and/or blood stagnation. Additionally physical and mental overexertion, chronic or acute stress, injury, trauma, post childbirth, significantly enlarged tumors all play significant roles in many menstrual disorders. The following imbalances are common patterns found in the majority of cases:
• Qi stagnation of liver, heart, kidney, ren, chong channels (PMS, painful & heavy period, irregular period)
• Blood stagnation (heavy and painful period, PMS)
• Qi deficiency of spleen and kidney (Irregular period, prolonged period, spotting between period, PMS)
• Blood deficiency (Absence of period, scanty period, irregular period, painful period)
• Yin deficiency of liver, heart, spleen, kidney (PMS, irregular period)
• Yang deficiency of spleen, kidney (absence of period)
• Essence deficiency (absence of period)
• Excessive heat (heavy period, PMS, irregular period, spotting between period)
• Excessive cold (scanty period, irregular period, painful period, PMS)
Acupuncture, Chinese herbs, and moxa therapy are the primary methods used in menstrual treatment to achieve these healing effects:
• Open the affected energy channels to move qi and blood.
• Disperse qi stagnation.
• Break up blood stagnation.
• Nourish qi and build blood.
• Nourish yin, yang, and essence.
• Drain heat.
• Dispel cold, warm uterus.
The initial phase of treatment comprises of 12 weekly sessions. Continuing maintenance treatment is necessary until a normal menstruation pattern is achieved.
Extra care should be given to the body in the week before and during the period - rest more, do not overexert, avoid or minimize stress, avoid sex during bleeding days.